Bye-bye, Summer!

It’s still warm and sunny, but I don’t try to fool myself: summer is over. The air conditioners are back in the basement, Sam’s closet is full of long pants, socks, and long-sleeve shirts, and I am once again wondering what the heck I wore last fall. But I will leave that for another day.

Since we returned from Hungary life’s been chugging along in its usual rhythm. Work, daycare, weekends. Sam is now in the Toddler room and the adjustment has been a bit rougher than I thought. He still has all of his little friends around him, but they don’t seem to be much help during morning drop-off. I know that he is fine for the rest of the day after I leave, but seeing his scrunched-up little red face in the morning is no fun. And the fact that he can now talk and cry “mommymommymommymommy” is just cruel. It’s also cruel when I hear this in the middle of the night. Because yes, transitions would not be fun without interrupted sleep, right? So for the past two weeks he’s been waking about 2-3-4 times a night. He cries, but the moment we go in he lays down and goes right back to sleep. WTF? But if we don’t go in, the crying just gets louder and louder and more desperate. The one saving grace is that Drew is now able to console him so I am not on lone night duty anymore. Yipee.

Sam’s last full night of sleep was when we were at my MIL’s in Pennsylvania. Was it the clean country air? Was it that we slept in the same room with him? Who knows? Sam just LOVED life in the country and I was left wondering where he inherited this from. I am not exaggerating when I say that we were staying in the middle of a corn field. During the entire 4-day weekend, only 13 cars went past the house. There were cows, bugs, cats, dogs, horses and by hour 2 I was ready for a cappuccino and a high-speed Internet connection. Sam was up at the crack of dawn every day, like a good farmer, and went off with his Grandma “Gummy” to visit the cows who were also still asleep.

We swam in two lakes, rode a steam-engine choo-choo, ate lots of ice cream, and rode in cars that were not exactly street-legal across fields.

Drew and I had a couple of free hours to grab lunch at our favorite college hangout. Over spicy fries and my favorite chicken bacon club sandwich, we had a long discussion about what we learned and didn’t learn in college and whether we’d do it again and if we would, would we be any good at it. Drew made a good point that knowing what he knows now, he wouldn’t have the patience for the philosophical discussions that go on during classes. I suppose I feel the same way — it’s nice to think in college that your ideas and beliefs truly matter, but the reality is that you have to learn to set all of those aside and do what you have to do to keep a job, to keep your relationships, etc. In the “real” world, not a lot of people care about what you “believe” and I think maybe that is the one thing that college doesn’t teach you.

The next day we walked across campus with Sam. If you want to feel really, really old as you visit your old school, definitely take your kid with you. Wow. The students now all seem so young and also very, very skinny. And nobody was wearing flannel. How did these kids become so polished? I tried to imagine Sam on that campus 16 years from now and I quickly had to stop thinking about that. Just can’t go there yet.

What else is new? Our house is still on the market and we are thinking about taking it off the market for the holidays and the winter. I don’t want to have to deal with it for a few months and maybe by the spring things will be looking up in the real estate market.

Sam continues to be just the greatest little dude. Other than the no sleeping and the unpredictable eating habits, he is just so cool to be around. Currently he is obsessed with everything firefighting-related. Drew is slowly bringing out his firefighter gear and Sam is just in awe of it all. I supposed it’s pretty cool for a little boy to find out that his daddy used to be a firefighter. Who wouldn’t love that?

We also marked the fourth anniversary of my parents’ arrival in the US and I quietly marked the 17th anniversary of my arrival in the US. My brother and I both agree that since our last visit to Budapest this summer we are both having a harder time readjusting to life here and that it’s taking longer for those homesick feelings to go away. We’ve never had that problem — after a visit to Hungary we would be back in the swing of things in a matter of days. I suppose we are both older and we both think about these things more often and in greater depth than when we were young and foolish. Oh, well.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s